Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Gratitude, big and little...Bread and Wine

Hi Dear Inspired Readers,

My summer time is coming to a close, though sunny days will be here for a few months,  my son beginning school tomorrow and my daughter next week. Lucas will begin tomorrow as well. Whose Lucas? He is our international student living with us now! Happy & sad.

Do you ever have those conflicting feelings? 

Well, if you do, too...I highly recommend the book Bread and Wine, (see gorgeous picture below) for your summers end read! (I have a mutual friend in common with the author, who brought me another book by her) I could not put it down! I laughed out loud, cried (streaming tears) and found myself agreeing with her out loud, which prompted my husband and daughter to ask me WHAT was I reading?

My mom and I had a lengthy discussion today on the topic, of having a life to be profoundly grateful for, on one hand, and feeling so sad or disappointed about something, on the other. I think we all grapple with that to some degree, which is why I so loved Bread and Wine! She has clearly had a wonderful life, lovely family but has had some very difficult and heartbreaking life circumstances happen. While I laughed and cried my way through this book, I thought she was a girl after my own heart!

So, why do I share all this? Because I just had this recently. So after  DECIDING to focus on my gratitude...
I thought this book and these photos would be a good mix. I hope you get a good laugh out of my descriptions!

I'll be back posting about design and the beautiful things of the home, soon with some surprises, like a new business name and more...



I rolled down the hill, over and over, using my hands and hips to slow down,  from the tippy top of Catalina's White's Cove Mountain Top... Between laughing and squealing, my dad, daughter, hubbie, sister and I, had a blast hiking straight up a very steep, and slippery slope! The boat is down there! Thankfully, I did not roll down there, too!

Below, we look fairly composed, this was taken before I almost rolled to the bottom. (Slight exaggeration) Note: See what happens when I wear FLAT shoes, like tennis shoes?










 I absolutely love to focus on the beauty of EVERYTHING. I think even the docks in Catalina, at White's Cove, are beautiful. The cleats themselves are so beautiful, too. I think I feel this way because growing up I spent most of my summers on them, and tying up the boat to them! 
This salmon recipe (From the other book photographed at top, Gwyneth Paltrow's book It's All Good) is the best ever, ever, ever! 

 Hannah with Catherine and Sydney!
Justin helping Danny and learning the ropes!

 One of the most beautiful moments I have experienced all summer  were these dolphins. We spent more than thirty minutes in the center of these dolphins playing in the wake of our boat. It was a beautiful and magical moment from God. Really, once you spend moments in the midst of these beautiful creatures you feel as if you just spent time with our creator!


 The darling girls walking around Catalina.
My "sous chef" who is apparently a bit camera shy. So meet my "sous basket".

 Paella is Scott and my favorite thing to make together. This recipe also from Gwyneth's books! This one is seafood! It was delicious. I was trying to look "Food Network-y" with my sous chef holding up the Paella in front of Catalina, but since we didn't have a crew to clean the windows on demand, it isn't perfect, though the evening was.


 Beautiful Catherine loving the Paella, as did Eliot, Scott, Danny and my Momma.

 The best parents ever! (Ok, I'm partial)
 The darling cousins. I love them. Gratitude, is just delicious! I wish for you
Zephaniah 3:17! Love to you all. Big Love!!!!

 photo signature_zps72c1a2bc.png

2 comments :

Leslie said...

Wonderful and thoughtful post:) Your pictures are lovely. I'm from L.A. (now living in WA state) and enjoyed many trips to Catalina Is. Beautiful spot and looks like you all had a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I love your blog, too! I just figured out how to change my comments so I'm hoping to get my previously private comments now on this page! I love how your blog is set up etc..
My family and I took a trip to it looks like right where you are now in WA and I thought it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, though the water is sooooo cold!
oxox

Post a Comment